Companies that provide local and intrastate moving services must meet all the general business, equipment and vehicle licensing requirements as well as maintain state-mandated insurance for both business and workers compensation. The local and intrastate moving regulations for Rhode Island are provided on this page.

IAMTrusted and IAMX-Validated movers have their documentation or direct resource links (backing up their listed years in service, association memberships, quality and compliance qualifications) available for your own verification at Validation for local and intrastate compliance can be viewed by clicking the “Intra Lic” link in the respective company listing.

This page is sponsored by:
Contact to sponsor this page.

Rhode Island State Compliance

Status:  Regulated

Regulatory Oversight:  Rhode Island Division of Public Utilities & Carriers

RIPUC Website:

Household Goods Movers

The Rhode Island Division of Public Utilities & Carriers regulates movers who transport property within the State of Rhode Island.

You have rights when you have your household goods transported by a certificated household goods mover. The most important of these rights is your assurance that the carrier will only charge rates that have been approved by the Division of Public Utilities and Carriers. If you feel you have been overcharged, you may contact the Division. The Division will investigate all charges assessed to you and report back to you. The Division requires that all carriers maintain financial responsibility (insurance) to insure you against loss or damage to your goods.

If the carrier does not accept responsibility, you may file a claim directly with the insurance company of the certificated carrier. Insurance information can be obtained by calling the Division at 941-4500.

A link to a list of licensed moving companies operating in Rhode Island can be found at:

Consumer Information

RI Public Utilities Commission
89 Jefferson Boulevard
Warwick, RI 02888
Ph: 401-941-4500 • Email: