Companies that provide local and intrastate moving services must meet all the general business, equipment and vehicle licensing requirements as well as maintain state-mandated insurance for both business and workers compensation. The local and intrastate moving regulations for Pennsylvania are provided on this page.

IAMTrusted and IAMX-Validated movers have their documentation or direct resource links (backing up their listed years in service, association memberships, quality and compliance qualifications) available for your own verification at Validation for local and intrastate compliance can be viewed by clicking the “Intra Lic” link in the respective company listing.

This page is sponsored by:
Contact to sponsor this page.

Pennsylvania State Compliance

Status:  Regulated

Regulatory Oversight:  Pennsylvania Public Utilities Commission (PAPUC)

PAPUC Website:

Household Goods Movers

Household goods movers operating within Pennsylvania are required to be licensed by the Public Utility Commission and must maintain adequate levels of insurance coverage and charge fees approved by the PUC.

Moving Company Brochure – Guidelines for consumers to follow when hiring a moving company.

Before hiring a moving company, consumers should consider the following standards:

  • Mover must provide a written estimate.
  • Estimate is based on applicable tariff charges (hourly rate if distance is 40 miles or less) or on a weight and mileage basis (if distance is over 40 miles).
  • If the actual bill exceeds the estimate by more than 10% you must pay the estimated charges plus 10% of the estimate or $25 (whichever is greater). You have up to 15 days after delivery to pay the balance.
  • Loss or damages automatic protection is insured up to 60 per pound per article. (If additional protection is desired, consumer must purchase it through the moving company or private insurer.)
  • Ensure the company is licensed by the PUC. All movers operating within Pennsylvania must display their PUC number in advertisements (such as phone books).
  • Ensure you receive an Information for Shippers form prior to signing any agreements.
  • Shop around for more than one estimate since tariff charges do vary among companies.

At the conclusion of a move, check delivered items for missing or damaged goods prior to signing the delivery receipt. Note any problems (service or damages) on the delivery sheet and do not sign until all items have been moved. Keep all paperwork given to you by the moving company.

If you wish to file a complaint, please contact the District Office nearest you, in writing, with the following information:

  • Name of company and anyone you dealt with.
  • Date(s) of move.
  • Amount of estimate and actual amount charged.
  • Nature of complaint.*

Please note: The commission cannot order reimbursement for damaged household goods or investigate a complaint involving goods moved out of Pennsylvania or placed in storage for more than 90 days. However, during an investigation, violations of PUC regulations may be discovered.

PAPUC List of Certificated Household Goods Carriers

PAPUC Complaints Page

Consumer Information

Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission
400 North Street
Keystone Bldg.
Harrisburg, PA 17120
Ph: 800-692-7380
Contact Online