Companies that provide local and intrastate moving services must meet all the general business, equipment and vehicle licensing requirements as well as maintain state-mandated insurance for both business and workers compensation. The local and intrastate moving regulations for Montana are provided on this page.

IAMTrusted and IAMX-Validated movers have their documentation or direct resource links (backing up their listed years in service, association memberships, quality and compliance qualifications) available for your own verification at Validation for local and intrastate compliance can be viewed by clicking the “Intra Lic” link in the respective company listing.

This page is sponsored by:
Contact to sponsor this page.

Montana State Compliance

Status:  Regulated

Regulatory Oversight:  Montana Public Service Commission

APSC Website:

Household Goods Movers

Carriers transporting household goods within Montana must be registered with the Montana Public Service commission (PSC).

To ensure a seamless move contact the PSC at 1-800-646-6150 or .  The PSC cannot recommend a household goods carrier, but we can advise you if the mover you are interested in using is registered, if they have active insurance on file, what their rules and rates are, and if any complaints have been filed against the company. 

When you have decided which moving company to use, you should ask them for a written estimate based on an in-person inspection of your household goods. You may also consider purchasing additional protection from the carrier for your household goods and setting the value of your belongings to an amount that makes you comfortable in case of loss or damage.

Ask the mover about coverage if damage occurs when you pack your own goods, or if the company packs for you. Some companies will not reimburse the customer if damage occurs when the customer does their own packing. Photographing or filming your belongings before they are packed is a good idea. Be sure to inspect as many items in the delivery as possible prior to signing the delivery receipt. If there is any loss or damage during the move, you should first contact the motor carrier in writing as soon as possible. If you are unable to reach a resolution with the household goods carrier you should then contact the PSC.

For more information contact the Consumer Assistance Division at  (800) 646-6150.

Consumer Information

Montana Public Service Commission
1701 Prospect Ave
PO Box 202601
Helena, Montana 59620-2601
Consumer Assistance: (406) 444-6150 or (800) 646-6150