Companies that provide local and intrastate moving services must meet all the general business, equipment and vehicle licensing requirements as well as maintain state-mandated insurance for both business and workers compensation. The local and intrastate moving regulations for Michigan are provided on this page.

IAMTrusted and IAMX-Validated movers have their documentation or direct resource links (backing up their listed years in service, association memberships, quality and compliance qualifications) available for your own verification at Validation for local and intrastate compliance can be viewed by clicking the “Intra Lic” link in the respective company listing.

This page is sponsored by:
Contact to sponsor this page.

Michigan State Compliance

Status:  Regulated

Regulatory Oversight:  Motor Carrier Division, Michigan State Police

Michigan PUC Website:

Household Goods Movers

When moving from point-to-point in Michigan, the Michigan State Police (MSP), Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division (CVED), encourages Michiganders to make educated decisions when hiring a moving company. Many residents are not aware that HHG businesses are required to be authorized by CVED to conduct HHG moves in Michigan.

Make sure the company is licensed and insured: Movers may advertise they are licensed and insured, but that may not be the case. A United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) number, alone, is not proof of authority to move HHG.

Obtain an onsite estimate: Insist that the mover conduct an onsite inventory and provides an accurate estimate. Be specific in conveying items they will and will not be moving.

Obtain the details: Before loading the shipment, movers are required by regulation to furnish the customer with a “Bill of Lading,” a receipt for goods and a contract for transportation along with payment options.

Know the payment requirements: Pursuant to the Motor Carrier Act, the mover is allowed to request payment before the truck is unloaded. If the charges are more than the non-binding estimate, you must pay 110 percent of the estimate at the time of delivery and then pay the balance within 30-days of the move.

Be informed of the following regarding regulated and non-regulated rates and charges:
 Non-regulated rates: Moves 40 miles or less from the point of origin of the move to the destination are unregulated. Movers may charge by the hour and those rates may be negotiated.

 Regulated rates: Rates for moves over 40 miles are regulated and based on weight and mileage, with supplemental charges added for additional services such as packing, unpacking, stairs, elevators, etc. The customer must be given a non-binding estimate, which may change depending on any special circumstances that occur during the move.

Valuation protection or additional loss/damage coverage: Check with your homeowner’s insurance company to verify what coverage you have for the move. Your options for valuation protection through the mover are as follows:

a. Accept limiting the carrier’s liability to 60 cents per pound at no extra cost.

b. Accept a valuation of your items at $6 per pound and pay a premium for that coverage.
For example, if you accept 60 cents per pound and your 20 pound high definition television is damaged, you will receive $12 for that claim. If you waive your right to valuation protection greater than 60 cents per pound and you do not pay a charge for extended coverage, you will not be able to collect replacement value for any damaged items. All claims must be filed in writing within 30-days.

You may contact the CVED at 517-284-3250 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, to verify companies have moving authority, insurance, and to assist you with any other questions you may have.

Consumer Information

Michigan State Police Headquarters
7150 Harris Drive
Dimondale, Michigan 48821
Ph: 517-332-2521
E-mail Contact