Companies that provide local moving services must meet all the general business, equipment and vehicle licensing requirements as well as maintain mandated insurance for both business and workers compensation. The District of Columbia does not require licensing to provide local and intrastate moving services.

IAMTrusted and IAMX-Validated movers have their documentation or direct resource links (backing up their listed years in service, association memberships, quality and compliance qualifications) available for your own verification at There are no separate moving license requirements for local moving in the District of Columbia.

This page is sponsored by:
Contact to sponsor this page.

Washington, DC Compliance

Status:  Unregulated

Regulatory Oversight:  None

Household Goods Movers

The District of Columbia does not regulate carriers providing local moving services within the District.

The Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) has the following requirements for companies providing moving & storage services:


DCRA – Consumer Protection Request

Consumer Information

DC Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs
1100 4th Street, SW,
Washington, DC 20024
Phone: (202) 442-4400