Companies that provide local and intrastate moving services must meet all the general business, equipment and vehicle licensing requirements as well as maintain state-mandated insurance for both business and workers compensation. Indiana’s local and intrastate moving regulations are provided on this page.

IAMTrusted and IAMX-Validated movers have their documentation or direct resource links (backing up their listed years in service, association memberships, quality and compliance qualifications) available for your own verification at Validation for local and intrastate compliance can be viewed by clicking the “Intra Lic” link in the respective company listing.

This page is sponsored by:
Contact to sponsor this page.

California State Compliance

Status:  Regulated

Regulatory Oversight:  Bureau of Household Goods and Services (BHGS)

CA Bureau of Household Goods & Services Website:

Household Goods Movers

The Bureau of Household Goods and Services (BHGS) regulates moving companies that perform moves within California. These moving companies must be licensed by BHGS prior to operating. Here are a few tips to follow before you choose a moving company.

• Thoroughly research a moving company before hiring. When possible, visit the company’s place of business.
• Verify that a moving company is authorized to operate by calling (916) 999-2041 or checking the company’s status at
• Check the company’s complaint history with the Better Business Bureau.
• A moving company may provide you with a written estimate only after it has conducted a visual inspection of the items you need moved. Verbal estimates or estimates given over the internet are illegal and may not be enforceable.
• Photograph or videotape your belongings to refer to if a dispute arises concerning charges and/or loss or damage.
• Consider whether you want to purchase additional insurance protection and set the value of your belongings for an amount that makes you comfortable.

• A copy of the moving services agreement.
• The “Important Information For Persons Moving Household Goods (within California)” booklet, which provides rules and regulations that the moving company must follow and information about your rights.
• The “Important Notice About Your Move” document, which contains the “not to exceed” amount for all household moves. This is the maximum amount you can be charged unless you request additional services.
• If you request additional or different services at the time of the move, you may be asked to complete a change order which may require you to pay additional fees for those newly requested services. If you agree to the additional charges on that change order, those charges may be added to the “not to exceed” amount set forth above. A change order cannot be used simply because a mover underestimated costs.

To file a complaint against a moving company, call (916) 999-2041, or follow the “File a Complaint” link at Loss or damage claims must be filed in writing within nine months after your goods have been

Consumer Information